When unveiling Peach Fuzz as its 2024 Color of the Year, the Pantone Color Institute described it with comforting and fuzzy verbiage: gentle, relaxed, cocooned warmth. And yes, those words do sum up the color, a soft pinky orange (or orangey pink, depending on how you interpret it). According to Laurie Pressman, Pantone Color Institute vice president, the color offers a “warm and welcoming embrace” in these “highly unusual times we continue to find ourselves in.”
All of which makes Peach Fuzz, and related pinky-orangey shades, perfect for incorporating into your home. These colors also have something of a tactile element, suggestive of velvets, suedes, and even quilting. What’s more, peachy colors fit right in with the continuing popularity of grandmillennial chic and the return of Art Deco.
Perhaps best of all, peachy tones not only flatter just about every skin tone (one reason they’ve been prominent on the fashion runways of late) but also complement just about every other color and mood out there. Coasters with peach-coral trim work with formal gold or silver tableware as well as with informal wood or bamboo settings. A pink-peach chaise gains sophistication when surrounded by moody hues and is flirty and feminine amid pastels. A rug with peach tones is equally at home atop terracotta tiles, dark or pale wood floors, and a natural-fiber carpet. Few other colors are as easy to incorporate into a room as peach, and few other colors set such a universally welcoming mood.
Five Easy Peachy Pieces
• Elsie Table Lamp. This lamp’s spherical glass body, reverse-painted the softest blush imaginable, sits atop a warm brass base that plays up its hints of peach.
• Peach Bands I and Peach Bands II. If you think the color peach is too delicate or airy, these framed abstract artworks will change your mind. Here blocks of peach are paired with moodier green and blue to sophisticated effect.
• Yevgeny Rug. Peaches and pinks give this Oriental-style rug a fresh, convivial vibe.
• Strawberry Is My Jam Wallpaper, Peach. Nathan Turner ramps up the nostalgia facet of peach by using the color as a background for this wallpaper adorned with strawberries and bows.
• Anna Cocktail Ottoman, Blush Velvet. The peachy undertones accentuate this button-tufted ottoman’s quiet luxuriousness, while the pink notes ensure it doesn’t come across as staid or stodgy.