Care instructions vary from rug to rug, but here are some general tips to keep in mind. For the best results, always refer to the care information that comes with your rug.
- – Rugs should be vacuumed without a beater bar. Some rugs, like tufted rugs, shed more than others. For these rugs, frequent vacuuming is a must.
- – Keep your rug out of direct sunlight to prevent colors from fading. If your rug is getting too much exposure, consider adding window treatments to shade the sun and keep colors bright.
- – To prevent your rug from showing wear, rotate it once a year. In higher-traffic areas, rotate your rug more often so it wears evenly. If your rug has constant exposure to the sun it will fade, but occasional rotation will equalize the effects.
- – How to treat spills depends on the material the rug is made of. But rule of thumb? Clean spills immediately. Always refer to the special care information included with your rug.
- – For outdoor rugs, shake them to remove dirt, or hose them off with a garden hose. Then let them air-dry in the sun.
For More About Rugs, Check Out…
Rug Sizes: A Room-by-Room Guide
What Rug Material Is Right for Your Home?
Rug Pile: The 5 Things You Need to Know
Rug Constructions: What’s the Difference?
Join the Discussion