A gorgeous vase full of flowers is the quickest (and most fragrant) way to update a room, but where to begin? “The kind of vase and flowers you choose depends on the mood you want to convey,” says Sarah Ryhanen of Saipua, a farm and creative studio in Esperance, NY. “Do you want to make the living room feel more elegant or give the kitchen a rustic feel?” Here, Sarah shows how to create arrangements for every vibe.
“In a casual space like the kitchen,” says Sarah, “an arrangement should be really approachable—nothing fussy.” Set in a chic but familiar pitcher, the rustic mix of hearty herbs and edible marigolds is completely at home on the table. And you can pull from this arrangement to spice up your meal!
Living Room Luxe
Quick Tips to Keep Flowers Fresh
- Cut stems at a 45-degree angle for maximum water absorption.
- Pull off any bruised petals.
- Remove any leaves that will fall below the waterline.
- Change the vase’s water every other day.
- Keep flowers away from the heat—from both the sun and appliances.
- Spritz your flowers with water from time to time; they like to drink from the petals as well as from the stems.